Cyberbullying is where an individual is being repeatedly insulted and tormented online. This can be with racial slurs, horrible messages and nasty posts. It has a huge effect on a number of victims lives and can can have a negative impact on their self esteem, mental health and can follow them for a long time through the future. With so many platforms within social media, it means victims may feel they are unable to escape and that they will always be haunted by their past experiences.
How do I know if I'm being cyberbullied?
1. Sending/sharing nasty, hurtful or abusive messages or emails
2. Humiliating others by posting/sharing embarrassing videos or images
3. Spreading rumours or lies online
4. Setting up fake online profiles
5. Excluding others online
6. Repeated harassment and threatening messages (cyberstalking)
So, what can you do if you're being bullied online? There are many websites, as well as people, who would be willing to help you if you had a problem. Parents/carers should be your first choice when making a claim. If you feel like you cannot speak top them about it then your friends should support you.
Some useful websites you can visit to get advice and support :